My name is Pierre Coovert and I am a Baptist. Everything taught on this site will be from a Baptist perspective. John Ridpath, a Methodist said, “I should not readily admit that there was a Baptist church as far back as A.D. 100, though without doubt there were Baptists then as all Christians were then Baptists.” If first century Christians were Baptists, should not the Christians of the twenty-first century also be Baptists?
Baptists don’t have an exclusive on the truth or on salvation. All who are truly born again will be in Heaven, not just Baptists, but if Baptists doctrine and practice are what was taught and practiced in the first century, are they not also what should be taught and practiced in the twenty-first century? Are we not taught in the New Testament that we should earnestly contend for the faith once delivered to the saints. This is the faith of the New Testament and the Christians of the first century. I truly believe that a return to the principles of the New Testament Christians will make one a Baptist.
In the first century churches had power and influence that are missing today. I am not alone in wanting to see the power of the first century churches restored. A commission was ordered by the King of the Netherlands in 1819 to trace the history of the Dutch Reformed Church. The commission drew the following conclusion concerning the antiquity of Christian communities: “…Baptists may be considered as the only Christian community which has stood since the days of the apostles, and as a Christian society which has preserved pure the doctrines of the gospel through all ages.” If this is true, and if the statement of John Ridpath above is true, then shouldn’t we desire to return to the doctrine and practice of those who have kept them pure through all ages?
One last thought, If you think I am wrong on any issue, I will listen to your arguments with an opened mind. My desire is not to win arguments, but to be in agreement with the Scriptures. The final authority for me is the King James Bible in English, and in any other language, a translation based on the Received Text of the New Testament, and the Masoretic Text of the Old Testament.
- Baptist Influence On Protestants March 27, 2020 Pierre Coovert
- Coronavirus Panic March 23, 2020 Pierre Coovert
- The Faith of our Founding Fathers March 12, 2020 Pierre Coovert
- Why America is Failing March 5, 2020 Pierre Coovert
- What Is Your Foundation? February 28, 2020 Pierre Coovert
- Why Are We Losing Our Freedoms? February 20, 2020 Pierre Coovert
- There Is Purpose In Your Valley February 13, 2020 Pierre Coovert
- The New Testament Church - Part 5 February 6, 2020 Pierre Coovert
- The New Testament Church - Part 4 February 3, 2020 Pierre Coovert
- The New Testament Church - Part 3 January 23, 2020 Pierre Coovert