The following are the notes used to record my podcast on false teachers:
Today I want to talk about false teachers. We are warned to expect them from within and without. First I want to look at some Scriptures that tell us what to expect, then I want to look a a few of the “damnable heresies” that are common today.
2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
- We should expect false teachers among us.
- The heresies they bring in are damnable.
- This means they are destructive and lead to condemnation.
- They will send people to hell.
2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
- In the last days we can expect a falling away.
- This is a departure from the faith.
- The faith is the system of doctrine found in Scripture.
- To fall away from the faith, one must first have known it.
- This does not mean it was accepted and believed, it means they know what it was.
Acts 20:29-30 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
- Wolves only want to satisfy their own selves.
- They couldn’t care less about the flock.
- Many will come from within, not without.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
- These false teachers transform themselves into apostles of Christ.
- It shouldn’t surprise us because Satan transforms himself into an angel of light.
- Satan’s ministers may try to disguise themselves as minister of righteousness but those who know the Scriptures will not be fooled.
- If they choose to follow Satan in this life, they will follow him in death.
1 Corinthians 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
- This must happen so we can tell who is really approved of God.
- It started in the first century and is increasing as we approach Christ’s return.
- In the first century Christians did not have a copy of the Bible to check things out.
- Today we are without excuse when we allow these heresies.
Let’s look at some of the damnable heresies of our day:
- The heresy of the name it and claim it prosperity gospel – 2 Timothy 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
- The Bible is clear, it is not God’s will that all Christians should be rich and healthy.
- God uses the trials of Christians to bring glory to Himself.
- If we were honest with prospective converts and told hem what this verse says, how many would respond to our invitation.
- The heresy of easy believism, God loves you, type of soul-winning – Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
- You will notice that the message preached by Peter caused the people to be “pricked in their hearts.”
- Nowhere in the Bible is God’s love used to draw people to Christ..
- You will see that evangelistic messages showed the sin of the sinner and warned of coming judgment.
- The Gospel is only good news to those who understand the bad news.
- The heresy of it’s what’s on the inside that counts – Matthew 7:16-20 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
- The Bible is very clear that salvation changes a person. – 2 Corinthians 5:17.
- A tree is known by its fruit.
- A person who is truly born again, who has God’s Spirit living within, will reflect that on the outside.
- Those who believe they can dress like the world must not have the Holy Spirit inside telling them that their dress should bring glory to God.
- We draw the lost to Christ by being different, not by being the same.
- The heresy of music doesn’t matter – Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
- Psalms are the singing of Scriptures from the Bible’s songbook.
- Hymns are songs of praise and worship to God.
- Spiritual songs are songs that appeal to the spirit, not the flesh.
- Notice that the songs are to make melody in the heart.
- Music that emphasizes something other than melody appeals to the flesh, not the spirit.
- The heresy of the modern Bible versions don’t change anything – 2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
- The translator’s notes say that “corrupt” could also be translated “deal deceitfully with.”
- I only bring this up to say that the modern translations changing this to peddle is an incorrect translation.
- As I often say, things that are different are not the same.
- The modern translations don’t say the same things in a different way, they say different things.
False teachers are a reality today, as they have been from the beginning.
Some may not think the things I have mentioned are “damnable heresies,” but they are.
Teaching that Christianity is about health and wealth will cause people to “come to Christ” as a Santa Claus rather than as a Saviour.
It will disillusion when trials come in their lives and cause them to drop out.
Easy believism will cause many to “try Christ” without really repenting and trusting Him.
Trusting God is not trusting Him to make everything good, it is trusting Him even when we don’t understand why He has allowed trials in our lives.
It is knowing that He always knows what is best for us, be it good or bad in our view of things.
This idea that it is what on the inside that counts is a half-truth.
It is what is on the inside that counts, but if it is truly on the inside it will show on the outside.
It is damnable because it shows a wrong picture of Christianity.
Music does matter.
The stated purpose of many Contemporary Music writers is to destroy denominational boundaries.
This can only lead to confusion because it confuses doctrine, even the doctrine of salvation.
The Bible version issue is extremely important if we are going to earnestly contend for the faith.
The differences are not minor, are we saved, or are we just being saved as the new versions say?
The bottom line is that the false teachers are out there.
We must be like the Bereans and search the Scriptures to see what is true and what is not.